Monday, June 20, 2011

Things Done and Things As Yet Undone

Done:  Annual Weekend o'Birthdays
  • Epic fail on the girls' birthdays this year.  For those who don't know, my girls have their birthdays within three days of each other late in May.  My calculus final was scheduled for the day of EM's birthday. There was no possible way I could manage two parties, and a respectable grade on my exam, so--sadly, selfishly, cravenly--I told them they had to wait on their parties.  I bought presents though.  Large piles of presents I did definitely manage.

Done: Elder Miss's Make-Up Party
  • EM's actual birthday was on a weekday, and I had the exam, and I was somewhat, what you might call overwrought on account of said exam, so I didn't ever get a picture of her with her pile of presents.  Fy. But just last weekend, I took her and a small group of her closest friends to see Pirates of the Caribbean 4.  Five of the chattiest, loudest, goofiest 11 year olds EVER.  They talked all the way through the movie, but I didn't shush or scold even once.  Happy Belated Birthday, Baby.
Undone:  Little Miss's Make-Up Party
  • It's going to have wait now until August or September.  That's okay.  I'm pretty sure she's forgotten all about it.  My Missy tends to live very much 'in the moment'.  We love that about her.
Done:  Elder Miss's Annual Spring Art Show and Tap Recital
  • Someone thought it would be a brilliant idea to schedule an outdoor tap dance recital this year.  Someone apparently forgot that we live in the wettest damn place on Earth, and outdoor events are generally discouraged here in Bergen.  Baby got wet.  Very, very wet.
  • Someone else was also thinking outside the box when they scheduled the art show this year, and managed to find a whole new venue for the event.  Instead of an art gallery, the kids got to display their work at the Bergen Fishing Museum.  That's right, the fishing museum!  Along with hundreds of pieces of their children's colorful, clunky imaginations made manifest, parents were treated to the museum's permanent collection of nets, hooks, and, of all things, outboard engines!  Add to that the intriguing aroma of rotting, drying fish marinating in the ancient wooden floors, and you've got yourself a pretty spectacular afternoon of history and culture! 
Eel by EM

Jellyfish by EM
  • All snarking aside, I did rather appreciate the aquatic theme of all the art. The kids had obviously been working towards this the whole year.  And it was a much, much bigger building, so there was none of the overcrowding that has been such a problem at the art gallery. 
  • Do take a moment to try and conjure that smell though. Think low tide.  Think 300 years of fish guts rotting into the floorboards.  Add salt.
Done: Realfagkompetanse
  • High school math and science proficiency.  I didn't do it as a teenager.  I didn't do it as a college student.  But it's done now.  And I did it in Norwegian.  I get to brag about that a little bit, because it was hard.  Damn hard.  But I did it.  And I did it in Norwegian.  Somehow over the past 18 months I've managed to cram 3 full years worth of math and science into my brain.  I've taken biology, chemistry, physics 1 & 2, and calculus 1 & 2.
  • The final oral exam in physics was not great.  I went in with the wrong attitude.  I choked.  I missed some things I really shouldn't have missed.  I'm not overly proud of my meager performance that day.  But it was one day. One bad day.  And the important thing is, I may not have aced it, but I passed it.  I'll get credit for the class.  And that's really all I need to get into the University.
  • I've applied for a place in the Meteorology/Oceanography departmant starting next fall.  If I don't get in, fuck 'em.  I'm spending the rest of my days on the sofa watching reruns of Extreme Make-over Home Edition, and eating bonbons.
Undone: Stateside Summer Fun
  • There's much on the agenda this year, including side trips to Victoria, B.C.; Seattle WA; Yellowstone; and Northapmton MA.
  • Boy's going to learn how to swim.  He doesn't want to, but dammit! He will, he will, he will!
  • I'm going to eat steak.  And mint chocolate chip ice cream.  And Pop Tarts.
  • I'm going to buy stuff.
  • Lots of stuff
  • It's going to be good.
  • Very good
  • Bags are half-way packed.  We're almost there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done! Good to have you back.

Jon said...

Yes, very well done. As for the rest of them? Let them eat cod!

Anonymous said...

Pop Tarts? Really?

Queen LaTeacha said...

Victoria, B.C. - check. Seattle - check. Yellowstone and Jackson Hole - check. Buying stuff - a neverending job. Poptarts? Haven't seen you gobble one yet. Swimming lessons start Monday. It seems like you're well on your way to getting it done for the summer!