Monday, September 07, 2009

Art Appreciation: Reproduction Edition

Having decided which of EM's masterpieces we wanted to frame and hang (the faceless head), I was lovingly packing up and storing away the rejects when I was suddenly struck by something I just have to get off my chest.

Brace yourselves.  It's a bit disturbing.

But, seriously, isn't her shape and color assignment positively teeming with blatant sexual imagery?

No obvious phalluses (giant squiggly sperm notwithstanding), but go ahead, count the clams. 

Count 'em I tell ya'!

I get three obvious ones, a uterus--complete with ovaries, a possible fourth candidate in the upper left-hand corner, and a shapely tit in the lower left.  Oh, and let us not forget the large X and Y chromosomes smugly dominating the composition (in leu of the phallus, one supposes).

I mean, I know she didn't mean for any of that to appear the way it does, but isn't it just exactly like she meant for all that to appear just exactly the way it does?

I'm a little concerned that so many of the obvious lady bits are in the shadey corner, surrounded by the ugly colors she was "challenging herself" to use.  That and the menacing sperm make me wonder.  Perhaps it's time for a rather serious Come-to-Venus/Our Bodies, Ourselves kind of chat with her sometime in the very near future.

I know, I know.  I'm going to hell.  But now that I've shown you all (and I just know you all see it too), you're coming with me....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I usually don't like to use these texting acronyms, but...

LMAO!!

Alpha Grandpa said...

the wonderful thing about abstract art is that it frees the viewer of all pre-conceived ideas and allows them to bring their life experience to the canvass for whatever they are open enough to see. I think the ideas you got from the picture are very perceptive, but unless Emma has a health book and an interpreter sitting next to her, I'd say she had a very lucky coincidence.Maybe she'll be a medical book illustrator someday. love you guys

Stef said...

I agree with Alpha Grandfather. It is your interpretation that is suspect not her drawing. You are being so Freudian. Stop it! Though he was the father of it all, he was also a misogynist. And you are anything but...

tracy said...

But look... there is a sweet pink heart right smack in the middle of the painting, amidst all the lady bits and splashes of DNA. Love is right in the middle, where it should be with all of that imagery, right?

I saw at first glance what facially resembled a hairless levitating horizontal Mr. Magoo in a hot pink leisure suit floating among the caverns and crevices of outer space.

But now, I can totally see your interpretation, and I also LMAO!

Queen LaTeacha said...

What in the name of sweet Jesus are you smoking? Let the girl play with shapes and colors for the love of Picasso!

I'm just sayin'.......

Anonymous said...

Now would you be seeing what you have been seeing if hunting season wasn't in question??

PS.You fretted about your Norwegian miss-I-got-a-very-high-Bergentesten-written-score?? I may have to shake you. :D